bolson: (Default)
[personal profile] bolson
Two intense weekends, two different crowds.
I just thought of a short explanation that feels mostly true.
Blues: these are people I share a fun awesome passion with.
Arisia: these are my people.

At dance events my connections with people often don't stray far outside of dancing. At Arisia I found people who I could dance with and do acro with and talk about favorite scifi with and talk about lame libertarianism in fiction with and a dozen other things. And while I know a few people who fit all of those things, there's also a great diversity of people who fit a few or several of those things. I get it all. It's great.

At the end of the dance workshop weekend, I noticed the demographic. Mostly young 20s-30s fit dancers. I expected and got a much wider set of shapes and sizes and ages of people at Arisia, and it was good! It was interesting! Of course, part of the variety was due to costuming. :-) I think I made someone happy by recognizing their semi-obscure costume as a Galifrean time lord.

This was my first year getting a room at the con hotel. It definitely improved my experience. Previously I had to subway or bicycle home around midnight or 1am every night, and back the next morning, always missing very late things or slightly early things. This time I was good and got to sleep around 1am Friday night and got up in time for 9am yoga in the morning. As I got dragged to more and more interesting nocturnal activities I wound up staying up till 4am and 6am.

Now I'm home and I can again eat food that is neither disgusting nor disgustingly priced. The best food all weekend was at the reception for my favorite vegan newlyweds. That was also a beautiful thing, but another story.

Yay megadose of geek culture and nifty new people (made some new local friends). If I am very good I'll find a way to sleep 10 hours tonight. Uf.

Date: 2011-01-18 05:13 pm (UTC)
cos: (Default)
From: [personal profile] cos
When Arisia moved to the ziggurat Hyatt four years ago, with a shuttle practically to my home, I tried doing it without getting a hotel room. It *really* cut into my con experience. I'm not planning to try that again.

Date: 2011-01-18 05:43 pm (UTC)
blk: (Default)
From: [personal profile] blk
I haven't tried Arisia without a hotel room (obviously), but I am acutely aware of how much having one helps. The "roll out of bed, throw on some clothes, and open the door to start the day" is much better than working out any form of transportation.

This year, I even stayed entirely in the hotel, and didn't go to any of the off-site parties. While I very much miss all the wonderful people there, I really enjoyed not having that couple hours of going outside and driving in the cold cut into my evening.

Good seeing you!

Profile

bolson: (Default)
bolson

September 2017

S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
1011121314 1516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 2nd, 2026 05:11 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios